California Musical Theatre is currently hiring for the following positions:
Marketing and Public Relations Manager
The Marketing and Public Relations Manager helps oversee the marketing, advertising, website, social media, and promotions for California Musical Theatre (CMT), including marketing for the Music Circus series at Wells Fargo Pavilion and the Broadway Sacramento series at Community Center Theater. The position also provides assistance to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations in managing, providing marketing and artistic direction, and inspiring the marketing department employees.
The ideal candidate will be well-rounded in theater or performing arts marketing. The most important requirements are proven experience buying media, both traditional and digital, and social media experience. Strong writing, communicating and interpersonal skills—and a proven ability to efficiently balance multiple projects at once—are essential.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
Manage CMT’s advertising functions including:
- Creating season and single-show advertising plans/budgets based on theater audience demographics and Sacramento regional media demographics
- Media buying for print, radio, TV, online and outdoor advertising
- Copy writing, editing, and proofing for print ads, radio spots, TV spots, online ads, brochures, flyers, postcards, and playbills
- Tracking the creative for print, radio, TV, online and outdoor ads to ensure correct ads are running, deadlines are met, and all ads run through completion of campaign
- Working closely with regional advertising representatives to get the best rates, ad buys, and promotional offers
- For the Broadway Sacramento series, working closely with National Tour marketing representatives on budgets, ad buys, ads, promotions, and setting key dates for show marketing campaigns
- Working with Community Center Theater to provide them with content to promote and sell shows (outdoor marquee billboard ads, season brochures, show heralds, outdoor wall projector ads, lobby posters, lobby loop videos)
- Managing Graphic Designer’s monthly schedule of creating print, online and outdoor ads
Manage CMT’s online presence including:
- Updating CMT’s website for all pages/departments with current written content, internal and external links, art/logos, photos, embedded videos, and press download materials
- Creating and strategically distributing promotional mass emails to our email lists, ticket buyers, donors, etc. through PatronMail to optimize effectiveness and minimize opt-outs
- Creating content, engaging and responding to our patrons and fans through CMT’s social media pages including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest
- Sending out audience surveys to our ticket buyers, donors, etc. through SurveyMonkey and analyzing response data
- Responding to and forwarding email inquiries from CMT’s general email
- Monitoring/updating CMT’s Google Alerts, Google Analytics, location and contact info on websites such as Google Places, Yahoo, Bing, Yelp, and Yellow Pages
Manage CMT’s press photos and promotional videos including:
- Managing Music Circus photography, schedule and supervise photo sessions, selecting key press photos, writing photo captions for local press, and supervising the editing of photos
- Managing Music Circus videography, schedule and supervise videography sessions, and giving recommendations on the editing of videos
- Collecting press kit materials and uploading to CMT press site on website
- Uploading videos to CMT YouTube page and embedding into website
- Sharing press photos and videos on social media pages
Manage CMT’s promotional functions including:
- Downloading press and promotional materials from National Tours
- Working with local media reps to create promotional campaigns including on-air ticket giveaway contests, live radio station remotes, social media promotions, and website contests
Manage CMT’s ticket sales goals including:
- Monitoring daily ticket sales and updating marketing sales tracking reports
- Managing ticketing pre-sales and on-sales with National Tour Marketing Reps, CMT box office and Tickets.com
- Providing sales updates to National Tour marketing reps
- Recommending marketing initiatives, sales increases/decreases and discount offers based on demographics, current sales, past sales, budget, etc.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in marketing, advertising and promotions
- College graduate in field such as Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English; or theatre background with equivalent experience in specified job duties
- Knowledge, experience or general interest in musical theater and entertainment strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to help manage, provide marketing and artistic direction, and inspire a marketing team
- Excellent verbal and written skills; proficiency in copy writing, copy editing, and proofing
- Knowledge of theater audience demographics and Sacramento regional media demographics
- Ability to balance multiple projects at once; some will require independent decision-making and others will require multiple levels for the approval process
- Experience working with Microsoft Office, mass email marketing, social media, website content management, and online surveys
- Some evening and weekend hours required
For more information about California Musical Theatre, click HERE.
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to the following:
Email: Include the job title in the email subject line: CMTrecruitment@calmt.com
Fax: (916) 329-1080
Mail: California Musical Theatre, Attn: HR Manager, 1510 J Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA, 95814
About California Musical Theatre
California Musical Theatre (CMT), Sacramento’s oldest professional performing arts organization and California’s largest nonprofit musical theatre company, is dedicated to the preservation and expansion of American musical theatre as an art form. CMT believes that the arts are a necessary component of cultural identity and is committed to nurturing the arts as an expression of culture.
CMT produces musicals for the Music Circus series at the Wells Fargo Pavilion (established in 1951), presents touring Broadway musicals for the Broadway Sacramento series at the Community Center Theater (established in 1989), and offers theater education programs through the CMT Academy. Each year more than 250,000 people benefit from CMT’s theatrical productions and education programs.
The 2013-14 Broadway Sacramento season includes 6 shows: Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical (Nov. 5 – 10, 2013), Buddy – The Buddy Holly Story (Dec. 27, 2013 – Jan. 2, 2014), Flashdance – The Musical (Feb. 4 – 9, 2014), Blue Man Group (Mar. 11 – 16, 2014), Sister Act (Apr. 8 – 13, 2014), and Wicked (May 28 – Jun. 15, 2014).
The 2013 Music Circus season ran from June through August and included 5 shows: The Wizard of Oz, Show Boat, Sugar, The King and I and Chicago. The 2014 Music Circus season will be announced in January, 2014.
The CMT Academy is a year-round theatre arts education program for all ages, but most importantly for school children and special needs groups. The CMT Academy offers a variety of educational programs that allow students to learn from Broadway actors and dancers, including master dance classes and internships. Interns are instrumental in creating Music Circus productions and provide support throughout CMT.
The California Musical Theatre administrative office is located at 1510 J Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Revision Date: 9/18/2013
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
For information about volunteer opportunities with us, click here.
For general employment submission, please email cover letter and resume to CMTrecruitment@calmt.com and include 'General Employment Submission' in the subject line.
You can also fax to: (916) 329-1080
Or send by mail to:
California Musical Theatre, Attn: HR Manager
1510 J Street, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95814
For more information on the nonprofit organization California Musical Theatre, click here
California Musical Theatre general job application: download